November 18, 2007

Can You Say, MOO?

In the quiet serenity of the country-side miles away from signs of civilization, finally, I'm sitting down gauging my thoughts about what to post next. For all of about 60 seconds, I had the country music station on the radio (which as it turns out is the only station I get this far out) but now it's just me and my laptop communing in silence. Fortunately my laptop has wireless internet access for the rare occasion that I happen to be near a wireless network (like, now) since my apartment does not currently have internet access of any kind. I expect that my posts over the next couple of weeks will continue to be few and far between so I apologize in advance. BLECH.

After my two and half month cross-country road trip, I went back to my apartment in Philadelphia and stewed over what to do next. Some family prodding and two interviews later, I finally decided to go back to school. I packed my belongings, just last week moved to the stix of Colorado and in two weeks time I'll be going back to school full time.

Now, some don’t believe me when I say that, out here, a moving vehicle other than my own is really a welcome sight but the truth is, I’m so far in the stix I’ve got deer for backyard buddies and cows for next-door neighbors.

Can you say MOO?

It’s nearly 10 miles to the nearest small town with nothing but pine trees and open range for miles in between and it’s roughly 15-20 miles from Colorado Springs – a bigger not-so-quaint- town that falls strikingly short of providing that luxurious zest of big city feel. I miss Philadelphia and oddly enough, when I was in Philadelphia, I missed New York; Funny how it works that way.

I did however move into an apartment that is 250 square feet larger than my former loft-apartment. Oh yea…we’ve got over 1000-sq ft of cozy, country living with just the right touch of big city feel. It comes fully equipped with laundry room, kitchen, an enormous front deck and a redonkulously large 3-4 car garage. Always a huge bonus is that I’m closer to family than I’ve been in several years and closer to my dad than I’ve been in, well…..14 years.

So friends, this will be my new home for the next 2 years...winters blanketed with fluffy snow, warm dry summers and mild springs. If ever you're out here, get lost, or need a break from the big city - come on over!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giddy-up! Time to get those moonbooties out of the box because it looks like there's gonna be snow.

You, the cows and your moonbooties. I just can't picture it but I applaud your desire to go back to school. Congrats and good luck!

Dan said...

So what is the college plan: semiotics? Did your beer-bong survive the move or do you need a new one?

Deanna Shaw said...

ahem, beer-bong? Let's see...I gave mine to you just before I left Santa Barbara six years ago or did you forget. Perhaps YOU need a new one?

Besides, no need for a beer-bong out here; it's just me! And wouldn't that just be an interesting one-man show.... ;-)