December 18, 2007

Are You an Entrepreneur?

Just a short blurb today...

I had a fun conversation with a friend of mine today and she told me she was thinking about starting her own business. She has an idea for a product and she believes it’s a market winner in a niche category. Okay, I added the niche. Anyway, I was thrilled for her and insisted she start putting together the details, draft a business plan, patent her product, do some research and start shopping around for potential 3rd party vendors. I got so excited thinking about all the pieces of the marketing plan that if she weren't in San Francisco or I weren't in Colorado - I probably would have hopped in my car, drove to her place, and sat her down to get the ball rolling.

After our conversation I started thinking about some of my other friends who have that entrepreneurial spirit and it got me thinking – about what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur in today’s bustling marketplace. As for myself – I don’t think I have that fundamental ‘just do it’ quality when it comes to starting my own business...

  • I like having stability and certainty in what I’m doing
  • I like taking risks but with a relative amount of caution
  • I like knowing when that paycheck will come in and for how much it’s going to be
  • I love thinking creatively but I can’t create something from nothing
  • I love my independence and being in control but I fear I would languish under the pressures of being the end-all/be-all between success and failure

And all that’s okay with me. Some people are built for creating a business and others for sustaining a business.

Which one are you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your friend is making a brave step forward. Starting your own business can be a very rewarding endeavor. But i think you underestimate yourself Deanna. I've known you only a few years and I think you have every bit of what it takes to start your own business and be successful. Maybe what you haven't found yet is your passion to build a business, beit a product or service you believe in, and your inspiration to get things moving. I think you would be very successful if you could find these two things.

-Tom

Deanna Shaw said...

Awww. Thanks Tom! I've always said YOU ARE THE MAN. :-)