February 21, 2009

Top 10 Favorite Movies of All Time

So after I posted the best action films of the last 30 years, someone asked me if any of those would qualify as my favorite movies of all time. My answer: some, yes but for the most part, not really.

Here's my list of my all-time favorite movies in no particular order because that would be TOO difficult I think. These all qualify as #1 depending on the day and my mood! There were only two criteria for this list:
1. Which movies do I tend to watch over and over again, and
2. Which movies, in my opinion, stand the test of time.

1. Aliens [best action flick and just such a fantastic movie! In all honesty, I've probably seen this movie 50+ times throughout the years....]

2. Frequency [I love movies that have a unique story line, surprising twists and turns, and in the end all the pieces seem to fit together perfectly. This is one of those movies. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it - it will quickly move up in your list of favorites - I promise!]

3. the Usual Suspects [This is another one of those nicely constructed movies with a unique story, great cast and a wow of a finish. Kevin Spacey is tops in this movie]

4. Gone With the Wind [A classic. How can this movie not be on my list. I adore Rhett Butler! And as selfish, pig-headed and spoiled as she may be, I also adore Scarlett O'hara. My grandmother introduced this movie to me when I was in 5th grade and I've never stopped loving it]

5. Eight Below [This is a relatively new movie released by Disney; and it is fantastic! Both heartbreaking and uplifting]

6. Star Wars: the second trilogy: IV, V, VI [No words necessary. I'll just say this: if you're not a Star Wars fan then I really just have no words... This is the ultimate fantasy, feel-good movie of all time.]

7. Back to the Future [You made a time machine....out of a DeLorean?!?!?!, Helloooo McFly!, I've never seen purple underwear before Calvin, You're my muh- my muh-...., Dad-da-daddio, now why don't you make like a tree and get outta here (i laugh every time I hear this because I'm pretty sure it's make like a tree and leave). All together great lines and memorable scenes. One of my favorites is the opener and the "mega amp" blowout]

8. Apollo 13 [I have a thing for movies that are based on true events and have a certain documentary type quality to them; and this is just a great one start to finish. Outstanding cast and great directing. It's just a good Sunday evening-type movie. The extended addition is also terrific]

9. Terminator ["I'll be back." Another movie that hit my list of top 10 action movies and it's one of my favorite movies to watch when I'm sick. In all honesty, I've probably seen this movie 100+ times over the years. I also had a crush a Michael Biehn too so that helps - although Arnie's naked tusche seemed to get a little more screen time.]

10. Miracle [another one of those Disney feel-good movies. I think this is one of Kurt's best performances. Personally, it doesn't hurt having to watch 2 hours of hot hockey players tussle on the ice either!]

Have any recommendations? Share 'em if you got 'em!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usual Suspects is a great movie. I thought for sure LOTR would have made this list! And no Indiana either! Funny how there are no real romance movies on here. Scarlett didn't end up with her man in GWTW.

Deanna Shaw said...

It was a toss between Miracle and LOTR. It very well might have to replace Miracle. I've seen the trilogy "a lot."

On a separate note: I've been playing this game on my iPhone called Distant Shores - essentially you walk along a beach, find bottled messages or throw your own bottled messages into the ocean for other people to read and respond. Anyway, one of my messages was: "what Star Wars character do you most identify with" and someone actually responded calling me an assface for assuming they liked science fiction. Apparetnly he/or she loathes Star Wars...

Keep in mind I'm throwing bottled messages randomly and random strangers pick them up.

But, in what parallel universe can anyone loathe Star Wars???

Anonymous said...

Gone with the wind ends up on all the favorites lists, but does anyone ACTUALLY watch that movie???

I scoff at the fact that you have two disney movies on here and not one of Hitcock's movies or even The Godfather!

Deanna Shaw said...

Actually Matt, I watched Gone With the Wind over the weekend. What a great movie! It's so unique and who isn't fascinated by stereotypes of the Old South?

I love the Godfather movies, don't get me wrong. I mean, how can you not love movies with lines like:

- "Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Saturday.."

- "Leave the gun. Take the Canoli"

But I can't watch those over and over again. Too dark.

I love Hitchcock movies too but I don't have any so I don't know that they'd make my top 10 list.

CaptiousNut said...

Deanna,

Admitting you love Star Wars movies?

How many millions of geeks do you really want fantasizing about dating you?

Deanna Shaw said...

HAHAAAAA. THAT is funny! Are you suggesting it's a movie predominantly loved by the geeksquad?

Well, I'm just egotistical enough to say this: To all the millions of geeks around the world, fantasize ALL YOU WANT.

:-D

CaptiousNut said...

For the next movie, if there is one, when the geeks are camping out, strut by them with your hair like Leia!

This is funny.

And in my own Moron research I too came across adult-age Star Wars fetishists.