October 29, 2008

Top 10 Action Movies [in the last 3 decades]

I absolutely love a great action flick and all but 3 of these are part of my DVD collection. I recently happened upon an interesting top 10 action movie list drummed-up by Entertainment Weekly and it listed Die Hard as the best action movie ever made, and Raiders of the Lost Ark came in third. *Insert twisted face; do a ‘lil head shake*

After reading through the rest of the toppers which even included Spider-Man2 and Desperado (puh-lease), I was suddenly motivated to come up with my own list.

First, the qualifiers:

1) obviously had to be a great action movie with shoot ‘em up, blow shit up, cut ‘em down kind of action.

2) plot moves quickly, the action keeps on coming

3) good storyline told from a unique perspective meaning, no action movies draped in bad clichés made it onto this list. The best action flicks are the result of great action embedded in a great movie.

4) stands the test of time and replays meaning, it’s just as good the tenth time you watch it as it was the first time you watched it three years ago, i.e..

Now,

THE LIST

  1. Aliens [What can I say…Ellen Ripley is your definitive badass. This movie has it all: It’s action packed with brilliant explosions, armored marines, non-stop machine-gun fire and cool grenade launchers, exploding aliens that bleed acid, an android that gets ripped in half…. could an action movie get any better? Getta outta here! No contest. It’s hard to believe this movie came out in 1986.]
  2. Terminator [This was one of my favorite movies growing up and that still rings true. The gargantuan Schwarzenegger against the thin but muscular Biehn, whose whole head probably equals the width of Arnolds left bicep - great stuff and never a dull moment.]
  3. Gladiator [“A general who became a slave; a slave who became a gladiator; a gladiator who defied an Emperor.” Come on, the movie itself knows its own greatness and this line sums up the expectations of the action perfectly. Great movie, great acting, great action.]
  4. 300 [My brother recommended this film to me and its pretty much all battle, all the way, through and through. Spears, swords, and rolling heads, this movie is action – turbocharged; makes you want to go out, get your swordplay on and kick some serious ass. And Gerard Butler – so masculine and commanding as the fierce King Leonidis…brilliant, bushy beard and all]
  5. Die Hard [It’s MacGuyver meets Rambo’s smaller self. A damn fine action movie that propelled a slew of films into a whole new action film genre. While it doesn’t take the top spot in my opinion, it’s definitely worthy of top-5 placement.]
  6. Lethal Weapon
  7. Predator
  8. The Matrix
  9. Kill Bill Vol 2 [Ok, Vol 1 is filled with more bload-soaked action certainly but I chose Vol 2 because I prefer the more natural flow of plot in tandem with some kickass kung-fu acrobatics and ninja swordplay.]
  10. LOTR: Fellowship of The Ring [Ugly, foul beasties..dueling wizards..hairy, long-footed midgets and more… Great characters, great story, and great clanking of metal on metal; this is the ultimate action-adventure “fantasy” movie.]

Top 5 very, very close Runners-up [in order]:

Bourne Identity

Braveheart

Bourne Supremacy

LOTR: The Two Towers

Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith [Some might argue here but c’mon, the whole fight scene between Anakin and Obewon? Master Yoda and Darth Sidius? Everyone was waiting for these matched duels and they did not disappoint. A perfect ‘ending’ to an entire series]

8 comments:

Dan said...

*Kill Bill: I liked Vol. 2 better as a movie, but Vol. 1 was better for pure action.
*The first two Bourne movies
*Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (do you think it was just romance?)
*Gladiator
*Three Kings
*The Hunt for Red October
*Black Hawk Down - very difficult to watch, but pure adrenaline.

Deanna Shaw said...

CTHD was originally on my runner-up list; I can't remember why I moved it. I think it just got bumped based on my personal preferences.


Black Hawk Down - that's a good movie...

Dan said...

Other thoughts:
-Terminator -- good movie but I was never a big Arnold fan
-Predator -- never had the desire to see it (see above)
-Die Hard -- I enjoy these movies much more than Arnold's movies but I don't think of them as "great"
-LOTR -- I never read the books and never had the desire to see the movies - weird because I am the perfect demographic for them
-The Matrix -- under duress I might admit that this was a good movie, but no one will never convince me that a Keanu movie was "great." Sorry, it's never going to happen.
-Star Wars III -- To me, these movies were too poorly written to qualify. I hate to say this, but I feel that Lucas just quit caring when he started up the second trilogy. It was painful to watch so many good actors look bad because the scripts were such piles of crap! My fantasy was that Lucas would create a rough outline and then hire Quentin Tarantino to write the dialog and final story. The movies would have been much better and I truly believe they would have drawn in a larger audience. Plus, millions of us would have seen the move seven or eight times just for the satisfaction of watching someone 'off' Jar Jar Binks. You know Tarantino would have done it too!

Anonymous said...

Good list. Some were a little predictable tho. Dan--Not an arnold fan, what? Never heard of a guy who wasn't an arnie fan. At least not one that wasn't also a Barbara Streisand singalong fan if you know what I mean. Aliens is defintiely tops, but Lord of the Rings is defintely not. Great movie but not an action film whaatsoever. 300 is not a "great" movie per se but the action is very memorable.

Dan said...

craig - I'll need to ask around, but I think for my age group it would have been Cher; Babs were for those a little older! :-)

Dan said...

craig - apparently my age places me in a demographic limbo: 5 years younger and it would be Cher, 5 years older and it would be Babs. Deanna will probably take my thinking Cher as further proof of my immaturity...

Also, it turns out that Arnold fandom doesn't necessarily mean what you think!

Dan said...

Not exactly a movie, but not really TV ("It's HBO!"): Band of Brothers, at least the "Day of Days" and "Bastogne" chapters are great action.

Deanna Shaw said...

I actually haven't seen BOB but I did hear it was very good.