January 29, 2008

Bush's Final State of the Union

If you happened to catch last night’s televised State of the Union address then, like me, you probably sat through it with some mixed emotions. From Republican cheerleaders thundering in unison to Democrats grumbling ass-in-seat in unison, to Pelosi’s emotion-less “on-queue” support, to Bush’s misplaced “State of the Union” address - I didn’t hate it but I also didn’t love it.

I yawned through many parts, laughed hysterically at others (more on that later), and throughout the whole thing (and with every time I watch these things) thought – the audience shouldn’t be allowed to stand up and applause during the speech but for the few non-partisan “long live America” type sentiments. Not much has changed with this practice but for the sake of unity (or at minimum some semblance of unity) – this just needs to stop.

Overall I liked the speech itself but felt it could have been more inspiring, a little fresher, a little quicker.

What I liked:
· I’m all about free trade and renewing trade agreements, ignoring lame-duck earmarks (though I’m more in favor of getting rid of earmarks all together), lowering taxes and offering a permanent tax relief

· I liked what Bush had to say about securing our borders (though admittedly, as much as I like hearing it I recognize how many times I’ve heard it) and protecting America from terrorist threats. On the latter, I was particularly proud when Bush spoke to two different occasions where attempted terrorist attacks on a Los Angeles high-rise and a domestic passenger flight were thwarted. I always felt that the Bush administration should have [I hate to use the word exploit but..] exploited these successes more during his administration. The same idiots who groan and bitch about airport security also go on tirades about poor homeland security and a national defense team that doesn’t do or accomplish anything. As if they could float this boat better. Naivety and stupidity demand reproach or at least a good “here’s what you don’t know” speech.

· While I’m on the fence about key aspects of Bush foreign policy - I like everything he had to say about bringing peace to the Middle East. Btw: Did anyone else notice the loud hush that fell over the left after Bush asked congress to continue funding the interception of communication between terrorist groups. Yikes.


What I Didn’t Like
· I don’t like any policy, or program pushing the words “faith based”. While conservative, like my liberal counterparts I do not like religion injected into politics.

· I have mixed emotions about the U.S. being the torch-bearer for peace throughout the world but I think it’s an honorable charge.


MUST be Tongue-in-Cheek:

"Just as we trust Americans with their own money"

Hahahahahaaaa.

"The actions of the 110th Congress will affect the security and prosperity of our Nation long after this session has ended. "

Blasted! The 110th Congress has proven to be ineffective and perfectly useless. It’s laughable! If voters aren’t already regretting putting democrats at the helm of congress, no doubt they’ll feel it ten fold if they put a democrat in the White House. *cringe* A frightening and painful truth.

"And let us show them that Republicans and Democrats can compete for votes and cooperate for results at the same time."

Er?

"We believe that the most reliable guide for our country is the collective wisdom of ordinary citizens."

Ok, I’m one of the handful of people who actually like Bush but including this blurb was just foolhardy considering the overwhelming sentiment that Bush not only did not listen to majority voters but that he blatantly disregarded their position and trudged forward anyway. *This administration does not base it’s actions on Gallup polls and approval ratings*

I for one actually applaud him for this, to some extent. I mean, do people really know what’s in their best interest? I’m not saying that Bush does but at least he doesn’t kowtow when it comes to fickle voter sentiments. And let’s face it, there are a lot of stupid people out there. Think of all the liberals…!


For your reading entertainment, or, if you didn't catch it last night, see Bush's final State of the Union address here...

No comments: